Moving home checklist
Fail to plan, plan to fail.
Everyone at some point in their life will be moving home, some do it every year, other’s every decade, nevertheless its important to plan your move. You will also find the more time you spend planning, the less stress you will endure.
What to do five weeks before you move home
- Get confirmation of the date you are moving, and the date the new buyers/tenants are moving in.
- Renting? Tell your landlord when you are leaving. May seem like a no brainer but you would be surprised how many times its forgotten.
- Check with your insurance provider that you are covered for the moving progress, you can never rely on the removals companies insurance.
- Don’t just get one quote from one removals company! There are tons of comparison websites online that give you quotes from all the local removals companies.
- If you have lots of stuff you don’t need or want, its better to arrange a trip to the charity shop/tip rather than moving it to your new home.
- Tell your gas and electric providers that you are moving.
What to do two weeks before you move home
- Box up everything your not going to be using in the next two weeks. A good tip, never buy boxes from the removals company. Buy them from eBay or look for a wholesalers in your local town. Some companies charge up to £1 per box, when then can be purchased from the wholesalers for 25 pence.
- Tell your doctor and dentist you are moving
- Go online and set up mail forwarding to your new address, it does cost but its needed.
- If you have a milkman, tell him you are moving, also do the same with newspapers/magazine subscriptions.
- A good idea if you have young children/pets is to get them out the way, so if you can, try and get a friend to look after them.
- Drop an email or a text to everyone you want to notify about your move. You would not want any friends turning up at your old address.
- Give your removals company a call and double check the date and the time of the move. Human errors happen, and dates get written down wrong all the time. Always double check.
- Notify the bank of your change of address.
- Give the estate agent a call and tell them what time you will be dropping the keys off.